Welcome to UnSpun - The Orca's current events podcast and YouTube show. Every week, Jody Vance and George Affleck unspin the latest news in local, provincial, federal politics, and much more.
Jody and George ask a lot of questions like: why is that Vancouver has a property tax increase of 7% yet Port Coquitlam comes in under 0.5%? And, why is a senior, high-profile economist selling higher taxes (you’d think an economist would know better)? And, when Ricky Gervais calls out “wokeness,” does anyone listen…or understand; and is Jody trying to turn George into a vegetarian? All this, beardgate and more.
- Twitter: The Orca https://twitter.com/TheOrcaBC
- Jody Vance https://twitter.com/jodyvance
- George Affleck https://twitter.com/george_affleck
- UnSpun https://twitter.com/unspunpodcast
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theorcabc/
- Listen to our podcast on your favourite podcast player. Search for “the orca media”
- This week’s YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/cQXv4L00qWs
Interesting in sponsoring? Email email@example.com
Jody Vance is a born and raised Vancouverite who’s spent 30 years in both local and national media. The first woman in the history of Canadian TV to host her own sports show in primetime, since 2011 she’s been working in both TV and radio covering news and current affairs.
George Affleck is a former Vancouver City Councillor, retiring in 2018 after seven years and two election wins. He has also owned his marketing agency, Curve Communications, since 2000 and works with a variety of clients in the private and non-profit sector. George is also a published author, a former CBC journalist and comedy writer, and an avid traveler, having lived in Sweden, Denmark, the UK, Taiwan, and Israel.
- Last week’s UnSpun was monumental – and its one-year anniversary. And insightful, pointed, funny, engaging, and…unspinning?
- Jody and George talk tax increases – Ada Slivinski says they’re a tough pill to swallow for small business owners.
- What goes up, must come down – except property taxes, says Daniel Fontaine.